Resources & Seminars
A number of resources are listed below that can help to build your knowledge about selective mutism and the recommended treatments.
These DVDs are of seminars presented by Dr Elizabeth Woodcock, Clinical Psychologist, and director of the Selective Mutism Clinic in Sydney. She is co-author of the chapter 'Treatment Programmes for Children with Selective Mutism' in the book 'Innovations and Advances in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy' edited by D. Einstein (2007).
Elizabeth has worked in both private practice and the public sector, in both research and clinical settings for over fifteen years. She provides supervision and treatment for selective mutism as well as other childhood and adult psychological conditions. The treatment approach for Selective Mutism is largely cognitive-behaviour therapy (CBT) and uses strategies that are shown by research to be effective. All DVDs provide practical and informative advice about how to manage children with selective mutism. The presentation is split in half with a view of Elizabeth presenting on one side of the screen, and the Powerpoint slides on the other side of the screen.
The DVDs can be purchased via the website via a secure payment gateway by clicking 'Add to cart' under the relevant DVD. If you would prefer to purchase the DVDs through our head office, please call reception on 0405 430 530 or contact us using the online form here.
SELECTIVE MUTISM CLINIC IN THE MEDIA
- What's it like to have a Phobia of Talking?, January 2016 - article by Rebecca Kamm in thewireless.co.nz
- Selective Mutism - segment on 'The Project', October 2015, audio-visual recording © 7pm Company Pty Ltd and Network Ten Pty Limited
- Selective Mutism: the children lost for words - article in 'The Age' National newspaper, November 2015.
- Selective Mutism: The Children Too Anxious to Speak - article in news.com.au, October 2015 by Ginger Gorman.
- El's Story - ABC radio interview in 2008 with Dr Elizabeth Woodcock and a 27-year-old woman with selective mutism. Produced by Natalie Kestecher. Download the audio or read the transcript on the website. www.abc.net.au/rn/features/silence/el/
- When Silence Screams - article in Sydney's Child and Melbourne's Child, October 2006 by Klay Lamprell about selective mutism.
Download (pdf 400k)
SELECTIVE MUTISM CLINIC ON 'THE PROJECT'
The Selective Mutism Clinic offers a consultation service to psychologists, speech therapists, school counsellors, guidance officers, social workers and other professionals who work with children with selective mutism.
Consultations can be provided on a single or ongoing basis to clinicians with varying levels of experience with selective mutism, across Australia. They are generally conducted via phone or Skype but can be face-to-face.
Click on the following links to order the recommended books through fishpond.com.au. Fishpond provide free shipping on all books and substantial discounts on most books.
Showing 1–10 of 12 results
Seminar – High school – 13th June 2018 – extra person(s)$50.00 Add to basket
Seminar – Transitioning to school – 20/9/17$80.00 Add to basket
Seminar – Transitioning to school – 20/9/17 – extra person(s)$50.00 Add to basket
Seminar – Treatment for SM in High School – 13th June 2018
$150.00Add to basket
Seminar – Treatment for SM in schools and preschools
$150.00Add to basket
Seminar – Treatment for SM in schools/preschools – extra person(s)$50.00 Add to basket
Seminar – What all staff should know – 8/3/17$60.00 Add to basket
Seminar – What all staff should know – 8/3/17 – extra person(s)$30.00 Add to basket
Seminar DVD – Preschoolers with Selective Mutism: Transitioning to School (1.5 hours).$120.00 Add to basket
Seminar DVD – Treatment for Selective Mutism in Schools and Preschools$150.00 Add to basket