Treatment for Selective Mutism in Schools and Preschools
Evening Webinar – Wednesday 25th August 2021, 5.30pm-8.30pm (Sydney time)
This evening webinar about treatment for selective mutism is for school psychologists and learning support teams, primary and preschool teachers who have a child in their class with selective mutism, and parents of children with selective mutism or extreme shyness.
Selective Mutism is a condition that severely restricts a child’s capacity for communicating verbally outside the home and typically occurs at the rate of 1 in every 200 children in primary school and much more frequently in preschool-aged children. It is a treatable anxiety disorder, but generally requires 1 to 2 years of treatment in order to resolve. An intensive treatment program at preschool/school is an essential part of treatment for most children with selective mutism. At the selective mutism clinic we work closely with the classroom teacher and support staff to help them deliver this program. The classroom teacher is generally the key person required to implement the strategies at school.
Topics that will be covered in the evening webinar:
- What is Selective Mutism
- Understanding Selective Mutism as an anxiety disorder
- Understanding a graded approach to treating anxiety
- A graded approach to working on communication – the Selective Mutism Clinic’s ‘5 Stages of communication’
- Factors that make it harder or easier for children with selective mutism to communicate
- General do’s and dont’s of managing selective mutism
- Education for all staff at a school about selective mutism
- Specific treatment strategies to use at preschool/school and in the classroom including:
- Starting out strategies, including educating all staff about selective mutism
- Building and expanding talking with the classroom teacher, including the ‘Sliding In’ strategy
- Generalising talking to friends, and eventually each child in the class
- Building children’s communication in small groups in the classroom
- Helping children communicate in whole-class situations and in front of the class
- Generalising talking to other teachers and staff
- Expanding talking so that it becomes more spontaneous
- Strategies to help a child transition to a new school year and new teacher
The webinar is recommended for:
- Primary school and preschool teachers or caregivers who are currently teaching or caring for a child with Selective Mutism or an extremely reluctant talker
- School psychologists or Learning Support staff who provide support to children with Selective Mutism
- School staff who wish to attend a professional development opportunity and learn about a rigorous behavioural method of treating an anxiety condition
- Speech therapists who are working with a child with selective mutism or would like to understand more about the condition
- Family members of a child who has Selective Mutism, or other key figures in the child’s life who want to gain a better understanding of specific strategies for selective mutism
- If you are seeking information about children with selective mutism in high school please see details about our high school seminar here.
About the presenter:
The evening webinar will be conducted by Dr Elizabeth Woodcock, a Clinical Psychologist, who established and is the Director of the Selective Mutism Clinic in Sydney. She is co-author of the book chapter ‘Treatment Programmes for Children with Selective Mutism’ in the book ‘Innovations and Advances in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy’ edited by D. Einstein (2007). Elizabeth has worked in both private practice and the public sector, in both research and clinical settings for over fifteen years. Elizabeth provides treatment for children and adults with a range of clinical disorders, and regularly provides training seminars for teachers, parents, and clinicians about Selective Mutism. Elizabeth has seen or supervised over 800 cases of children with selective mutism.
The webinar price is $150. Each additional person in the same booking (needs to be within the one payment) costs $50 per person. Cancelled bookings can be transferred but not refunded.
To register, click on the link below to pay via Paypal or pay via credit card. This will add the relevant items to your basket, then navigate to the basket and follow the links. If your school or organisation is paying and you would like an invoice to be sent to the school, click here to email the clinic and provide your name and phone number and request an invoice. Alternatively, you can call the clinic on 02 9438 2511. Registrations close: Monday 23rd August 2021.
Can’t make the live webinar?
Webinar – Treatment for Selective Mutism in schools and preschools
Additional attendees within the same party, relating to the same child or within the same organisation cost $50 each. Select the number of additional attendees below (select ‘0’ if there is only one person attending).
Registrations close at 5pm on 23/8/2021.
Please click ‘Add to cart’ to proceed.
$150.00 – $650.00