Preschoolers with Selective Mutism: Transitioning to School
Evening Webinar – We are running this on Thursday October 20th from 6 to 7.30pm (Sydney time).
Elizabeth presenting at a previous evening seminar for selective mutism.
This evening webinar about helping preschoolers with selective mutism transition to school is targeted for:
- Preschool and early learning teachers who have a preschooler with selective mutism who is transitioning to school next year
- Teachers and support staff in primary school who will be receiving a child with selective mutism into the first year of school next year (e.g., Kindergarten, Reception)
- Parents or carers with preschoolers who will be transitioning to school next year
Selective Mutism is a condition that severely restricts a child’s capacity for communicating verbally outside the home and typically occurs at the rate of 1 in every 200 children in primary school and much more frequently in preschool-aged children. It is a treatable anxiety disorder, but generally requires 1 to 2 years of treatment in order to resolve. The transition to school for preschoolers with Selective Mutism is often a stressful and difficult process and raises many questions for caregivers and parents. There are many factors to consider around such a transition such as educating the primary school and teachers about selective mutism, and preparing the child for the transition.
Topics that will be covered in the evening webinar:
- Strategies for the last term of preschool that will prepare a child for school
- What information to give to the primary school
- Selecting an appropriate classroom teacher
- The importance of peer relationships
- Strategies to build the child’s readiness for the transition
- Strategies for the teacher and school about selective mutism
- Common issues and questions
The webinar is recommended for:
- Preschool teachers or caregivers who are currently caring for a child with selective mutism or an extremely reluctant talker who is starting primary school in 2022
- Primary school kindergarten teachers who will have a child with selective mutism entering their class in 2022
- Learning Support staff who provide support to children with Selective Mutism
- Family members of a child who has Selective Mutism who will be starting school next year
- Speech pathologists
- School psychologists
About the presenter:
The evening webinar will be conducted by Dr Elizabeth Woodcock, a Clinical Psychologist and Director of the Selective Mutism Clinic in Sydney. She is co-author of the book chapter ‘Treatment Programmes for Children with Selective Mutism’ in the book ‘Innovations and Advances in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy’ edited by D. Einstein (2007). Elizabeth has worked in both private practice and the public sector, in both research and clinical settings for over fifteen years. Elizabeth provides treatment for children and adults with a range of clinical disorders, and regularly provides training seminars for teachers, parents, and clinicians about Selective Mutism.
The webinar will be run using ‘Zoom’ software. A link will be sent to participants prior to the webinar.
The webinar price is $80. Earlybird price for payments received before 8th September 2022 is $60. Each additional person in the same booking (needs to be within the one payment) costs $50 per person. Cancelled bookings can be transferred but not refunded.
To register, click on the link below to pay via Paypal or Credit Card. This will add the relevant items to your basket, then navigate to the basket and follow the links. If your school or organisation is paying and you would like an invoice to be sent to the school, click here to email the clinic and provide your name and phone number and request an invoice. Alternatively, you can call the clinic on 02 9438 2511. Registrations close: Monday 17th October 2022.
Can’t make the live webinar or don’t want to wait?
Webinar – Preschoolers with Selective Mutism: Transitioning to School (1.5 hrs)
1.5 hr webinar for parents, teachers, support workers, and early childhood workers.
The price of this webinar is $80. Earlybird price for payments before 8/9/22 is $60.
Additional attendees within the same party, relating to the same child or within the same organisation cost $50 each. Select the number of additional attendees below (select ‘0’ if there is only one person attending).
Please click ‘Add to cart’ to register.
$60.00 – $460.00