Selective mutism is a treatable anxiety disorder but requires an intensive school or preschool program. The transition to school for preschoolers with Selective Mutism is often a stressful and difficult process and raises many questions for caregivers, teachers, and parents. There are many factors to consider around such a transition such as educating the school and teachers about selective mutism, and preparing the child for the transition. The webinar featured on the USB provides strategies to help preschoolers with selective mutism transition to school.
The webinar offers information and strategies to help early childhood workers, school teachers, and parents:
- Ensure gains made in preschool carry over to school
- Select an appropriate classroom teacher to run the program
- Build the child’s readiness for the transition
- Know how to, and how not to, act during their first interactions with a child with selective mutism
- Know how to decrease stress for the child in the new school environment
- Know how to approach other anxieties often seen in selective mutism such as eating and toileting fears
- Answer common issues and questions
This webinar is recommended for:
- Preschool teachers or caregivers who are currently caring for a child with Selective Mutism or an extremely reluctant talker in their final year before school
- Primary school kindy teachers who are expecting to have a child with Selective Mutism in their class in the upcoming year
- School Counsellors, Learning Support staff, and principals who provide support to children with Selective Mutism
- Family members of a child who has Selective Mutism who will be starting school next year
The price for the USB package (which is in a case similar to a typical DVD package) is $120. If you would prefer to pay over the phone or have an invoice emailed to you, please call our reception on (02) 9438 2511 or email the clinic.
This webinar is usually run every year as a live workshop and a webinar.
To purchase access to a 4-week online recording of the seminar, click here.