This is a 3 hour recording of a webinar provided by Elizabeth Woodcock, Clinical Psychologist and Director of the Selective Mutism Clinic. The webinar featured in this recording provides strategies in the school setting for preschool – and primary-school aged children. Learn about why some children are unable or very reluctant to talk at school, and specific strategies to apply in the school setting as part of an intensive school program that will gradually enable the child to become a confident communicator at school with all teachers and peers.
Topics that are covered in the seminar:
- What is Selective Mutism
- Understanding Selective Mutism as an anxiety disorder
- Understanding how to apply a graded approach to treat anxiety
- Factors in the classroom or school setting that make it easier or harder for a child to communicate
- Specific strategies for the classroom teacher and others to apply to resolve selective mutism in preschool/school, including ‘Sliding In’, ways to generalise talking to other adults and peers at school, and ways to build communication in the classroom
- Common issues and questions
The webinar is recommended for:
- Preschool teachers, caregivers, and primary school teachers who have a child with Selective Mutism in their class or an extremely reluctant talker
- School Counsellors or Learning Support staff who provide support to children with Selective Mutism
- Family members of a child who has Selective Mutism in preschool or primary school
About the presenter
The webinar was conducted by Dr Elizabeth Woodcock, a Clinical Psychologist, who established and is the Director of the Selective Mutism Clinic in Sydney. She is co-author of the book chapter ‘Treatment Programmes for Children with Selective Mutism’ in the book ‘Innovations and Advances in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy’ edited by D. Einstein (2007). Elizabeth has worked in both private practice and the public sector, in both research and clinical settings for over fifteen years. Elizabeth provides treatment for children and adults with a range of clinical disorders, and regularly provides training seminars for teachers, parents, and clinicians about Selective Mutism.
To pay, please click on the link below to pay via Paypal or credit card. This will add the relevant items to your basket, then navigate to the basket and follow the links. Alternatively you can request an invoice to be emailed to your school or pay over the phone via credit card by calling our reception on (02) 9438 2511 or emailing the clinic.