The seminar featured in this DVD provides strategies in the school setting for preschool – and primary-school aged children. Learn about why some children are unable or very reluctant to talk at school, and specific strategies to apply in the school setting as part of an intensive school program that will gradually enable the child to become a confident communicator at school with all teachers and peers.
Topics that are covered include:
- What is Selective Mutism
- Understanding Selective Mutism as an anxiety disorder
- Understanding how to apply a graded approach to treat anxiety
- Factors in the classroom or school setting that make it easier or harder for a child to communicate
- Specific strategies for the classroom teacher and others to apply to resolve selective mutism in preschool/school, including ‘Sliding In’, ways to generalise talking to other adults and peers at school, and ways to build communication in the classroom.
- Common issues and questions
This seminar DVD is recommended for:
- Preschool teachers, caregivers, and primary school teachers who have a child with Selective Mutism in their class or an extremely reluctant talker
- School Counsellors or Learning Support staff who provide support to children with Selective Mutism
- Family members of a child who has Selective Mutism in preschool or primary school