The 45-minute seminar featured on this USB is designed to be shown at a staff in-service meeting in a primary, high school, or preschool setting, to help staff to understand this relatively unknown anxiety disorder where children are so shy they cannot talk at school. The seminar outlines the best approach for all school staff to manage these children and avoid worsening the condition.
Topics that are covered include:
- What is Selective Mutism
- Understanding Selective Mutism as an anxiety disorder
- Do’s and don’ts of general management of children with selective mutism
- Factors that affect the child’s ability to communicate
- How to get children with selective mutism to communicate with you and in the classroom
This seminar is recommended for:
- Primary school, high school, and preschool management staff who would like to educate all staff at their school about how to talk to and manage a child with selective mutism.
- School psychologists or learning support staff who wish to do the same as above.
- This seminar does not cover comprehensive school treatment strategies for children with selective mutism (as covered in our 3-hour seminar DVD here). This seminar is about educating all school staff about this condition.
About the presenter:
Dr Elizabeth Woodcock is a Clinical Psychologist and Director of the Selective Mutism Clinic and also MindBox Psychology in Sydney. She has a Masters of Clinical Psychology and PhD from the University of NSW with over 20 years’ experience in treating child and adult mental health issues across both private practice and the public sector in research and clinical settings.
Elizabeth has a special interest in treatment of Selective Mutism and has seen or supervised close to 1000 cases of Selective Mutism in clients ranging from late 2’s to adulthood. She is first author of the chapter ‘Treatment Programmes for Children with Selective Mutism’ in the book ‘Innovations and Advances in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy’ edited by D. Einstein (2007). Elizabeth runs a series of training webinars about Selective Mutism each year to suit a range of audiences, including teachers, parents, speech pathologists, and psychologists.
The price for the USB package (which is in a case similar to a typical DVD package) is $130 (free postage Australia-wide or $20 flat rate to the rest of the world). To pay, please click on the link below to pay via Paypal or credit card. This will add the relevant items to your basket, then navigate to the basket and follow the links. Alternatively, if you would prefer to pay over the phone via credit card or have an invoice emailed to you, please call our reception on (02) 9438 2511 or email the clinic.
To purchase access to a 4-week online recording of the seminar, click here.