This webinar on this USB was a one-day webinar provided to clinicians by Elizabeth Woodcock, Clinical Psychologist and Director of the Selective Mutism Clinic, about Assessment and Treatment of Selective Mutism in Children.
The webinar outlines a multidimensional cognitive-behavioural approach to treatment for children with selective mutism that involves an intensive school program with skills training for the classroom teacher, all school personnel, the parent(s), and the child. Strategies specific to Selective Mutism treatment that differ from standard CBT for anxiety disorders will be highlighted. The complexities and comorbid conditions of selective mutism that impact treatment will be discussed as well as family factors that need to be addressed.
This seminar will aim to build participants’ understanding about selective mutism in preschool and primary-school aged children and how to modify typical cognitive-behavioural treatments for anxiety disorders to suit this population. A 5-stage ‘communication hierarchy’ that underlies the treatment program will be discussed with various practical goals to use at each stage of communication within the school environment and other social situations as well as other evidence-based strategies for selective mutism such as ‘Sliding In’.
In line with the Selective Mutism Clinic’s three-tiered approach, strategies will be discussed that:
- Train the classroom teacher to be an effective coach for the child and to implement an intensive school program that target’s the communication anxiety. How to prepare the school and select a classroom teacher who will maximise the child’s chance of success.
- Build the child’s own knowledge about their anxiety, speech anxiety, and other emotions, and specific skills to address these
- Target the complex family factors that play a role in the mutism, and train the parent to respond appropriately to their child’s emotional needs and build the child’s communication in social settings.
- What is Selective Mutism
- Epidemiology and aetiology of selective mutism
- 5 stage model of communication
- Assessment at school and in the clinic
- Types of treatments and research
- Key treatment strategies including ‘Sliding In’ and ‘Graded exposure’
- School treatment program
- Clinic program – parent and child components
- Motivating families to seek treatment
- Comorbidities and special cases of Selective Mutism
- Common issues and questions
This webinar is recommended for:
- Psychologists / Clinical Psychologists
- Speech Pathologists
- Other mental health clinicians
The price for the USB package (which is in a case similar to a typical DVD package) is $350. To pay, please click on the link below to pay via Paypal or credit card. This will add the relevant items to your basket, then navigate to the basket and follow the links. Alternatively, if you would prefer to pay over the phone via credit card or have an invoice emailed to you, please call our reception on (02) 9438 2511 or email the clinic.
This webinar is run ocassionally as a live workshop and/or webinar.
To purchase access to a 4-week online recording of the webinar, click here.